Like you, I just hate to see stuff go to recycling if it's working.

I email the other tech coordinators in the SU to see if they can use what
we no longer need.  Failing that, if I think it has any value at all, I
post it on a list that's a page on our web site.  I set prices somewhere
near what identical items sold for recently on ebay.  Stuff actually does
sell from time to time.  Sales become a credit to my budget when I turn the
proceeds into the bookkeeper, so I get to spend the money, assuming there's
something I need.  I certainly don't count on those funds when budgeting,
though.  If there's a lot of stuff, I might list it on GovDeals.