Thanks, Kamran.  The study of mammal roaming areas sounds important, all right, but I hope they took into account the fact that low-human-footprint areas and high-human-footprint areas are very unlike in other respect beside human footprint, so that their 2/3 reduction conclusion is not experimentally established in any simple way.

I am at least as concerned about human impact on insects, earthworms, and fungi as I am about mammals.  Our fellow feeling for our fellow mammals should not be allowed to give them an unrealistically large part of our view of the ecosystem.

Chandler

On 2018-01-28 6:04 PM, Kamran Nayeri wrote:
Dear SftP folks:

As I have written before, the world faces three anthropogenic existential threats that in my humble opinion must be placed center and forward in the SftP to educated, organize, and mobilize around not only because they are the right issues to focus on in terms of saving the world, but also because that is probably how the best new generation of science and technology workers and students may radicalize around.  These are climate change, the Sixth Extinction, and the very real threat of nuclear war.  Among these, the Sixth Extinction gets far less attention as it is largely seen as unknown species dying off and never getting a front page article devoted to them even though estimates of daily extinctions are quite alarming.

The following article is from Science online about how human activity has reduced the habitat for mammals by up-to two-thirds. Conservation biologists place habitat destruction as the leading cause of the ongoing species extinction.

Human Activity Slashes Mammal Stomping Grounds by Up to Two-Third

Warm regards,

Kamran