2018 Empire Debates

The King’s Debate Society is pleased to invite you  for the 7th annual Empire Debates, a WUDC format tournament, hosted in the heart of New York City’s financial district, March 10-11, 2018.  In the city of the UN, Jay-Z, Wall Street, and Broadway, we look forward to great competition, through a smoothly executed, fun tournament with quality judges and motions.

For further updates, please join the Facebook event here.

REGISTRATION:

Team: $90

Judges: $25 per judge, n-1 requirement, $30 missing judge fee

E-mail entries, including any dietary constraints, to Josiah Peterson, Tournament Director, at [log in to unmask]. Please make checks payable to The King’s College with “The King’s Debate Society” in the memo line.  We will also be accepting cash or credit card payments at registration on the first day.  If you are a new program, or coming a long distance, please contact us; we will do our best to work with each school's limitations.

If you pay by personal check, we will cash it immediately and your teams will be disqualified if the check bounces.

Registration Deadline: February 26, 2018. (early estimates appreciated)

HOUSING:

Finding hotels in New York City can be difficult, as there is often a trade-off between proximity and cost. We have procured a great deal at one hotel that is walking distance from campus, but have also included three cheaper hotels in New Jersey and Brooklyn that are connected to the City’s mass transit systems.

Tournament Hotel (Recommended - Walking Distance):

Holiday Inn Manhattan Financial District

99 Washington St

New York, NY 10006

Double rooms with 2 separate beds at the rate of $179.00 per night plus taxes.

To secure the discounted rate, please make your reservations before February 16, 2018.  You can make reservations by calling the reservations desk at 1-855-914-1383 and referring to the King College March Group or group code KCM.  Alternatively, you can use the link below.

Kings College March Group
https://www.holidayinn.com/redirect?path=hd&brandCode=HI&localeCode=en&regionCode=1&hotelCode=NYCWA&_PMID=99801505&GPC=KCM&viewfullsite=true

Other Hotel Options:

Best Western - Prospect Park

764 4th Avenue

Brooklyn, NY 11232

(718) 768-3100

Ramada - Jersey City

65 Tonnelle Avenue

Jersey City, NJ 07306

(800) 946-5338

Super 8 - North Bergen

2800 Columbia Avenue

North Bergen, NJ 07047

(201) 864-4500

You can easily reach our campus (56 Broadway, New York, NY 10005) from the A, C, E, R, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, J, and Z Subway lines. If you are coming in from New Jersey you can take the PATH train to the World Trade Center stop, a 10 minute walk from campus.

MEALS:

The Empire Debates will provide breakfast and lunch Saturday and Sunday.  E-mail any particular dietary constraints to Josiah Peterson ([log in to unmask]) by February 26, 2018, or we may not be able to accommodate your needs. We encourage you to explore the city’s many options for dinner both days!

PROPOSED SCHEDULE:

We will have five preliminary rounds with open semis and finals with the possibility of a novice final depending on the number of entries. (Novices shall be considered those participating in their first year of intercollegiate debate or competing in one of their first three intercollegiate tournaments.)

Friday, March 9th, 2018

Call or e-mail to confirm teams by 10PM.

Saturday, March 10th, 2018

7:00AM                       Registration & Breakfast

7:45AM                       DQ for all absent teams

8:00AM                       Pairings

8:15AM-10:20AM        Round 1

10:45AM-12:45PM      Round 2

12:45PM-1:45PM        Lunch

2:00PM-4:15PM          Round 3

4:30PM-6:30PM          Round 4

Sunday, March 11th, 2018

8:00AM-9:00AM         Breakfast/Pairings

9:00AM-11:30AM       Round 5

12:00PM-2:00PM       Semifinals/Novice Finals, if sufficient teams

2:00PM-3:30PM         Lunch/Awards

3:30PM                       Finals

ADJ CORE:

Eva-Marie Quinones - Chief Adjudicator

Eva-Marie debated with Bard College from 2013-2017, winning the Novice Finals at SUNY Binghamton in 2013, advancing to semifinals at Adelphi 2014 and TED 2016, and advancing to finals for the Northeast Regional Championships in both 2014 and 2016. She was Top Speaker at The Empire Debates in 2016, as well as 7th speaker at Northeast Regionals in 2016. She was a quarterfinalist at the Colgate Open in 2017, a semi-finalist in Eastern Regionals in 2017.  She helped organize the Bard College debate tournaments in 2014 and 2015 and she served as a DCA at the Canadian BP Championships in 2017. In addition to helping run numerous middle and high school tournaments, she has taught debate workshops in the Palestinian Territories. She is currently studying at Yale for a PhD in Poli-Sci with a concentration in Political Economy.

Rubin Danberg Biggs - Deputy Chief Adjudicator

Rubin is a senior at Cornell majoring in Government and Economics. He is a 3-time USUDC quarterfinalist, has reached the semifinals of the 2015 Hart House IV, and 2017 Yale IV where he broke 5th, and was 4th on the team tab and 5th speaker at NAUDC 2017. He also broke in the Open division of WUDC 2018. As an adjudicator, he has judged at numerous major tournaments, including WUDC 2016.

Trivette Knowles - Deputy Chief Adjudicator

Trivette is the current president and past vice president of The King’s Debate Society.  He was recently a semi-finalist at the Rochester season opener, he was a quarter-finalist at the University of Vermont last year, and Novice Champion at the Bard season opener in 2015 and quarterfinalist and 9th place speaker at the Novice National Championship in 2016. He is a pizza enthusiast, a basketball MVP, and a good conversationalist. He studies Politics, Philosophy, and Economics at The King’s College.

CONTACT INFO:

Josiah Peterson – King’s Debate Society, Coach

Trivette Knowles – King’s Debate Society, President

[log in to unmask], 347-861-2521