[log in to unmask]" alt="" class="">

January 22, 2018

To:        UVM Community

From:    Wendy Koenig, Director of Federal and State Relations

RE:       Cannabis Legislation

Earlier today Governor Scott signed a bill regarding recreational cannabis.  This new law does not change UVM’s policies prohibiting cannabis on campus.

Cannabis remains illegal under federal law.  The University is at risk of losing federal dollars, including Title IV financial aid funds for students, if we allow cannabis on campus. UVM is not alone in our policy of prohibiting cannabis on campus. Universities in Vermont and other states where cannabis has been legalized also prohibit cannabis for similar reasons.

In addition, smoking cannabis violates our “Tobacco/Smoke Free” policy, which is designed to support an environment promoting wellness for all on campus. We also are cognizant of the research done here at UVM and elsewhere which indicates that even recreational use of cannabis has significant negative impacts on knowledge retention and brain development of individuals under the age of 29. All of these factors support our policy of prohibiting cannabis use and possession on our campus. The University of Vermont is not willing to risk significant federal dollars, including financial aid money to students, nor risk the health, safety, welfare, and educational achievement of members of our community.

If you would like additional information, or have further questions on the new law, please contact the Office of University Relations and we will assist you.