I saw this Reddit post the other day. I'm almost wondering if the two might be related.

https://www.reddit.com/r/k12sysadmin/comments/7x480g/students_bypassing_gsuite_policies_and_logging_in/

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 10:35 AM, Robert Whitcomb <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Our district middle school uses Chromebooks on a 1-1 basis but they are not allowed to take them home. Google Admin is configured to restrict access to connecting only to wifi configured for this OU. I have taken a students device home and it will not allow connection to my home network which is how it's supposed to work. Additionally I have tried to connect through my cell phone using both blue tooth and wifi hot spot and again the device showed as restricted from connecting. The issue is I have a student that has been taking the device home and using it on their home network the last 2 weekends. The browser history shows multiple connections to FaceBook and FaceBook messenger as well as inappropriate you tube videos all of which are blocked by the school network. There are no VPN extensions installed to bypass the network so I am at a loss as to how this student is connecting. Does anyone else restrict wifi to their school AP's or know of any holes in Google security that would allow a student to get around the restrictions? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.