February 23, 2018

To the University of Vermont community:

It is with great sadness that we share that our UVM colleague Carol Mauger passed away on Wednesday, following a brief and sudden illness.

For nearly 17 years, Carol worked in shipping and receiving for the University Bookstore. She was well known not only to the UVM Bookstore team but also by staff all over campus, as it was often Carol who made the time-sensitive in-person UVM Bookstore deliveries. An active volunteer in her church and community, Carol worked as stage manager for the Essex Community Players and Shelburne Players theatre groups and served as a Cub Scout den leader and Little League baseball coach. Appreciated by all for her warm countenance and her spirited laugh, Carol was known for her kindness, compassion, and genuine spirit, and was beloved by her colleagues at UVM Bookstore and her friends throughout her community.

We extend our deepest condolences to Carol's family, and offer sincere thoughts of care and sympathy to Carol's co-workers, friends, and others who were close to her. Information about tomorrow's visitation and memorial service can be found here.

As is the case when any member of our community passes away, we are bound to feel a profound sense of loss, and reactions are felt in a variety of ways. If you or someone you know is in need of additional support please do not hesitate to contact UVM's Counseling and Psychiatry Services at (802) 656-3340 (for students) or Invest EAP at (802) 864-EAPŘ (3270) or toll free at 1-866-660-9533 (for employee assistance).

Sincerely,
Thomas Gustafson
Vice President, University Relations and Administration