	*Office of the President
*

	February 20, 2018

Dear Members of the University of Vermont Community,

The University of Vermont and other college campuses in the state and
around the country have seen recently a proliferation of racist
messaging. The origins of these messages on our campus are unknown.
Regardless of whether the messages come from within or outside our
community, we condemn them to the fullest extent. We have no tolerance
for racism in any form.

The University of Vermont has a strong, visible, and ongoing commitment
to diversity, racial equality, and inclusion. We consistently speak out
against racism, injustice, and bigotry on our campus and communicate
frequently with concerned and impacted members of our community. And,
we know that the work around these important issues is far from done.

We appreciate John Mejia's passion for racial equality both on campus
and in the city of Burlington. We are concerned for John's health and
wellbeing. We are offering John health assistance and support as John
makes personal choices regarding these issues.

Our students, faculty and staff always have been key to helping us make
significant progress over the years on these critical issues. This work
started decades ago and continues in earnest today. The University has
invested significant resources, time, and money in critical initiatives
designed to promote diversity and educate and engage the entire
University community. Even though we face challenging times here and
nationwide, we have enjoyed much progress. Past efforts have laid a
foundation for those in our community to have their message heard and
valued rather than dismissed. We continue to focus on understanding
issues of culture and social justice through supportive professional
development opportunities. We have built recently assessments of our
efforts into the formal process of professional performance reviews and
through a Framework for Inclusive Excellence tool. We provide regular
and substantial diversity and inclusion training, are actively working
to hire more faculty of color, and are partnering with the Faculty
Senate to improve the diversity curriculum and instruction, among other
initiatives.

Full transparency and open communication have been key elements of our
past and current processes. As progress has been made, the University
has issued in the last year 8 comprehensive updates to keep students and
the entire campus community informed. More detailed information,
including all recent updates, is available at this website:
https://www.uvm.edu/advancingdiversity.

As a public institution we remain mindful of the rights of all to
express freely their views on issues of importance. Our University
remains steadfast in our commitment to diversity, inclusion, and racial
equality, and as we grapple with these difficult challenges, we will
continue, as we have, to speak out against racism, bigotry and injustice.

Working together and communicating with each other on these issues of
national importance, in an atmosphere of mutual respect and civility,
will allow us to continue making progress as one University. We welcome
all who want to join together to be a part of what needs to be a campus,
community, and national conversation.

With deep respect,

Tom Sullivan, President
David Rosowsky, Provost and Senior Vice President
Wanda Heading-Grant, Vice President for Human Resources, Diversity, and
Multicultural Affairs
Annie Stevens, Vice Provost for Student Affairs

*OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT*
349 Waterman Building
85 South Prospect Street, Burlington, VT 05405
(802) 656-7878  [log in to unmask] 	Equal Opportunity/Affirmative
Action Employer

--
Tom Sullivan
President