Extraordinary sight yesterday afternoon off Greenbush Road (near intersection with Thompson’s Point Road): a field completely covered with good-sized birds, all moving, all squawking, a wavering heaving tapestry. There were over a hundred mallards and black ducks feverishly rooting around corn stalks, at least 150 crows, and almost two dozen Wild Turkeys. The whole crowd was briefly buzzed by two Red-tailed Hawks.
We’d spent all day in Addison County actively seeking birds (specifically a Snowy Owl and Snow Buntings, which finally rewarded us) and then came upon a fascinating scene completely by accident. I love birding!
Maeve Kim, Jericho Center