I'm guessing that there is plenty of naturally occurring food in the woods
for our normally forest-dwelling winter birds. The brief burst of goldfinch
activity died down for me, as well. I haven't been in the woods lately due
to an injury that hampers my mobility, but I'm betting that if I did get
out I'd find flocks of finches roving the crowns of the yellow birches. The
relative lack of snow may have left enough tree trunks and branches and
ground exposed to provide adequate sustenance for those who rely on those
surfaces to find food, and in my area the cone crop seems to be abundant.
On the other hand, most of the usual suspects are showing up at the feeders
but perhaps in lower numbers and spending less time when they do come.
Chickadees, titmice, nuthatches, Carolina wrens, cardinals, house finches,
blue jays, and hairy, red-bellied, and downy woodpeckers seem to be the
usual neighborhood residents. Some individuals are recognizable. Mourning
doves are a constant. Juncos plentiful daily. The pileated woodpecker(s)
that has learned how to access the suet feeders is fairly regular. The
goldfinches, as I said, are notably absent. I only recall a single siskin
traveling with them. No redpolls. I'm going to stick with my thoughts on
plenty of natural food sources available for these guys and hope that the
actual numbers are not significantly lower.
Charlie La Rosa
Brattleboro

Charlie

"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." — Arthur Ashe