I haven't yet had to bring this up with students, but I have seen it with adults.  If they have a need to keep the tabs open (but are ok with letting the tabs 'sleep'/drop session) then I've had good luck with The Great Suspender.

Melissa Hayden-Raley
Database Administrator
Maple Run Unified School District
.