My friend Mark's birthday and bluebird skies was worthy of a personal day
off from work. Three of us with MaxPass decided on Stratton since we had
some days left there and it is so lovely to ski there withouth the crowds.
It was chilly and winter conditions. It didn't really soften too much but
skied quite nicely. We skied a few glades to keep us warm. They were fast
and hard. The groomers were the best and we enjoyed the speed more than the
fast quick turns necessary to negoatiate the trees.

When I took the liner out of my shell to dry it out from the weekend of
spring conditions here in CNY, a big chunk of the foot bed fell out. I
noticed this in the very early morning before heading to VT and decided to
put my liners by the heat vents in my car. I packed it back in and secured
it with large bandaids. Put it all back together and managed to ski with it
all day but noticed a little looseness where the chunk had fallen out. I
thought I would be able to get a new bed. It was the bed in the shell, and
it wasn't plastic but some kind of epoxy type stuff. So we headed to
Killington to the best boot repair folks in the area.

I went to the Basin because they sell Salomon boots, since it was a Salomon
boot, this might be the best chance to get it fixed. These boots were
fitting so well. I had replaced the liner a few years ago. I was hopeful
but figured it might be time to shop for new boots.

Carol at the Basin is a real pro boot fitter. She was kind enough to not
laugh at my boot set-up and looked ot see if there was something she could
do to fix it. I was a little embarassed because chunks of this foot bed
fell all over the shop.

She was busy with 2 others but said she could fit me in if I had time. So I
started trying on boots. I think I tried on every boot in my size and we
found the perfect fit...well, at least in the store it was a perfect fit
with the Nordica Speed Machine 110. The 110 flex felt a little squishy but
she said it was because the boots were warm inside and it would stiffen up.
She said she can even stiffen up the boot a few ways, but thought it would
be good to try them. She just put in one shim to take up a little space
since it was a men's boot (because all the women's boots are too narrow for
my very wide feet or they cinched too hard on my shin. She stayed 40
minutes after closing to make sure the fit was good. During that time the
shop tuned 2 pairs of my skis and did a binding check with the new boots. I
got out of there for less than $500...felt like a great deal.

Story continues in my next post.