My friend Mark's birthday and bluebird skies was worthy of a personal day off from work. Three of us with MaxPass decided on Stratton since we had some days left there and it is so lovely to ski there withouth the crowds. It was chilly and winter conditions. It didn't really soften too much but skied quite nicely. We skied a few glades to keep us warm. They were fast and hard. The groomers were the best and we enjoyed the speed more than the fast quick turns necessary to negoatiate the trees.

When I took the liner out of my shell to dry it out from the weekend of spring conditions here in CNY, a big chunk of the foot bed fell out. I noticed this in the very early morning before heading to VT and decided to put my liners by the heat vents in my car. I packed it back in and secured it with large bandaids. Put it all back together and managed to ski with it all day but noticed a little looseness where the chunk had fallen out. I thought I would be able to get a new bed. It was the bed in the shell, and it wasn't plastic but some kind of epoxy type stuff. So we headed to Killington to the best boot repair folks in the area.

I went to the Basin because they sell Salomon boots, since it was a Salomon boot, this might be the best chance to get it fixed. These boots were fitting so well. I had replaced the liner a few years ago. I was hopeful but figured it might be time to shop for new boots.

Carol at the Basin is a real pro boot fitter. She was kind enough to not laugh at my boot set-up and looked ot see if there was something she could do to fix it. I was a little embarassed because chunks of this foot bed fell all over the shop.

She was busy with 2 others but said she could fit me in if I had time. So I started trying on boots. I think I tried on every boot in my size and we found the perfect fit...well, at least in the store it was a perfect fit with the Nordica Speed Machine 110. The 110 flex felt a little squishy but she said it was because the boots were warm inside and it would stiffen up. She said she can even stiffen up the boot a few ways, but thought it would be good to try them. She just put in one shim to take up a little space since it was a men's boot (because all the women's boots are too narrow for my very wide feet or they cinched too hard on my shin. She stayed 40 minutes after closing to make sure the fit was good. During that time the shop tuned 2 pairs of my skis and did a binding check with the new boots. I got out of there for less than $500...felt like a great deal.

Story continues in my next post.