On Tuesday I checked out Emerald Lake in East Dorset and was pleased to see that finally, the ice cover has melted.  The highlight was the fall out of Phoebes.  It was nothing like Chris' report from Lake Runnemeade but nonetheless it was impressive to experience and I was reminded that yes, indeed it is migration time in spite of our snowy weather for the past weeks.  The Phoebes were not singing, only hawking insects out over the lake.  On Wednesday, two days later, I visited Howell's Swamp in Arlington and there was not a Phoebe to be seen or heard but I did have three  Cedar Waxwings.   What a difference a day makes!

Martha in Dorset