We are a large acute care hospital / independent academic medical center (ie, 20+ residency and fellowship programs, not associated with a university).  We actually have three different collections that serve different parts of this purpose:

1) A popular medicine collection, separate from the main collection, located next to comfy chairs.  Has books like Dreamland (about the opioid epidemic), The Checklist Manifesto, House of God, When Breath Becomes Air, Henrietta Lacks.  Mostly non-fiction, some fiction.  Gets quite a bit of circulation.

2) A book cart of light pleasure reading (romance novels, James Patterson, etc).  Came about after discussion with Spiritual Care saying that some of the patients who were here for a while would get very bored and unhappy.  Anyone can take books - patients, family members, residents, staff members, etc.  Spiritual Care chaplains will take books for bedbound patients.  We don’t track circulation, although we do put stickers on the books asking people to return them to the Library (so they don't get thrown away by people cleaning the rooms).  We tend to get people dumping a couple of bags of former bestsellers on us when they're doing spring cleaning. It's been quite successful, just based on eyeballing the turnover.  I also feel like we're providing a service for people who want to get rid of books without throwing them away :)

3) A "spiritual care" section for patients.  Spiritual Care chaplains recommend books that they have found useful for patients facing life changes, patients at the end of life, grieving family members (CS Lewis, St Augustine, Marcus Aurelius, etc).  We purchase books based on their recommendations; spiritual care staff members are responsible for checking them out, bringing them to the patient, and retrieving them from the patients.  This is still an experiment, but on a basic level, I feel good that we've been able to reach out an partner with a department (Spiritual Care) that we don't always have a lot of contact with.

Layla

S. Layla Heimlich
Medical Librarian
Wm. B. Glew, MD, Health Sciences Library
MedStar Washington Hospital Center

tel: 202-877-5296