Completely off topic, hoping this might ring a bell with someone!

Back in the day when I worked in accounting, we had a mechanical device called a "Paymaster Checkwriter."  With this device, you dialed number wheels to show the amount of a check, and then placed the check inside and had it print the number on the "amount" line on a check. So, instead of writing out, for example,   Three hundred eighty-seven and no/100------  you had imprinted on the check  387.00 and it was promoted as tamper-proof.   I know they sell these devices on eBay.  But I'm not looking for a device.

Some years ago, in a catalog, I saw a rubber stamp that you could dial in the amount and stamp that on the check.  That's what I'm looking for.   So, a stamp that you dial - sort of like the old date stamps where you turn the dials to show a due date.  But this one is for dollars and cents, and looks sort of like what came out of the machine.   Of course, now that I want one, I can't find it!  I've tried some check printing companies, thinking they might have, but the ones I looked at (Deluxe and Checksunlimited) didn't have it.  Not sure what it's "official" name would be.

Personally, I mainly use online banking, but I've become Treasurer for an association who doesn't, and having a hard time writing big amounts on the small line available.

Thanks,
Madeleine

Madeleine M. Taylor, MLS, MA
Medical Librarian | Health Sciences Library
St. Joseph's Health
703 Main St.
Paterson, NJ 07503
973-754-3590 | Fax 973-754-3593
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | www.stjosephshealth.org<http://www.stjosephshealth.org/>

*** Important Notice About St. Josephs emails ***
St. Josephs Regional Medical Center is using Zix to encrypt any e-mails containing Protected Health Information (PHI).  If you receive an encrypted email from a person at St. Josephs the body of the message will indicate that you have a "New Zixcorp secure email from St. Josephs Regional Medical Center."  You will need to click on the link in that email to retrieve the message.  For more information please visit http://www.uapguide.com/st-josephs-hospital-and-regional-medical-center/introduction.  For help in retrieving a secure email that youÂ’ve received from St Josephs please go to http://www.uapguide.com/st-josephs-hospital-and-regional-medical-center/receiving-encrypted-email.

CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION
THIS TRANSMISSION IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND CONTAINS INFORMATION THAT IS CONFIDENTIAL. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS COMMUNICATION IN ERROR, PLEASE DELETE THE EMAIL AND CONTACT THE SENDER IMMEDIATELY. THIS INFORMATION MAY HAVE BEEN DISCLOSED TO YOU FROM CONFIDENTIAL RECORDS AND MAY BE PROTECTED BY FEDERAL AND STATE LAW. THIS INFORMATION MAY INCLUDE CONFIDENTIAL MENTAL HEALTH, SUBSTANCE ABUSE, ALCOHOL ABUSE AND/OR HIV-RELATED INFORMATION. FEDERAL AND STATE LAW PROHIBITS YOU FROM MAKING ANY FURTHER DISCLOSURE OF THIS INFORMATION WITHOUT THE SPECIFIC WRITTEN CONSENT OF THE PERSON TO WHOM IT PERTAINS, OR AS OTHERWISE PERMITTED BY LAW. ANY UNAUTHORIZED FURTHER DISCLOSURE IN VIOLATION OF THE LAW MAY RESULT IN A FINE OR JAIL SENTENCE OR BOTH. A GENERAL AUTHORIZATION FOR THE RELEASE OF THIS INFORMATION MAY NOT BE SUFFICIENT AUTHORIZATION FOR FURTHER DISCLOSURE.