Our policy for tech equipment is the same as for books, athletic equipment,
band instruments, etc.  If it's damaged through gross negligence or
intentionally, or lost, we charge.  Otherwise no.  This is often a
judgement call, so principals and asst principals are in on the decision if
we do charge.  We try to give kids the benefit of the doubt, we don't
charge for most broken screens, even though it's borderline negligence in a
lot of cases.  Even when we do charge, a parent could appeal to the
principal on the basis of hardship, and that will be considered. We don't
lend chargers, we have a charging station here in the tech office, students
can leave stuff here to be charged.  We tell students to charge their 1:1
chromebooks at home, and leave the  chargers home, the batteries will last
all day.  So we're not particularly sympathetic of they come and say
someone stole their charger from a classroom.  In the middle school, where
chromebooks are 1:1, but not taken home much, we etch a number into each
charger with a vibrating etching tool, it's not just a label, and those #s
are recorded in Powerschool, so it'd be hard for a kid to swipe another
kid's charger and get away with it.