Until this year, the SBAC requirements said the Chrome OS is supported up to version X.  So I locked the chromebooks at that version, although sometimes a few managed to get updated before I locked them, or somehow they updated anyway.  This year, the requirement says at least version 60, it doesn't specify a max.  So I have not locked them.  It seems to work fine on 66, which is what ours seem to be updating to if I force an update right now.