You're certainly right about no bulk restore.  Not sure what you mean about an active investigation.  I went in, created a matter, created a search, found the Sheet what  I was looking for, clicked download and it downloaded a copy in Excel format to my hard drive.  The only person investigating was me.

Point is, you said you aren't doing mail, Vault does that.  Well, Vault doe for Drive what it does for mail.  No more, no less.  And it seems  to do what Bob asked for, find the occasional deleted file and let you recover it.