Thanks to all for your responses.  Reading from each of the suggested links is pretty discouraging overall.  On a positive note I crushed this morning’s egg shells and put then out for the swallows!!

Mundi
North Pownal

Mundi Smithers

The greatest tragedy in mankind's enitire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.
Arthur C Clarke (1917-2008)