Dear Friends and Colleagues

Published today (Mon 4th June 2018) by Independent Science News

GMO Golden Rice Offers No Nutritional Benefits Says FDA
by Allison Wilson, PhD and Jonathan Latham, PhD

https://www.independentsciencenews.org/news/gmo-golden-rice-offers-no-nutritional-benefits-says-fda/ <https://www.independentsciencenews.org/news/gmo-golden-rice-offers-no-nutritional-benefits-says-fda/>

Synopsis: We have previously reported on the difficulties experienced by the Gates-funded Golden Rice project in producing a GMO Golden Rice
with adequate yield and agronomic properties. Nevertheless, as widely reported, a version of Golden Rice has recently been permitted for importation
by Canada, Australia/New Zealand and now the US. Altogether unnoticed, however, is that the version of Golden Rice approved, called GR2E, contains
very little of the key ingredient, beta-carotene. Worse, even the little that it does contain rapidly degrades during storage. For these reasons,
FDA has told its developer (the International Rice Research Institute) that no health claims may be based on it. All-told, it seems that the trade-off
experienced by the Golden Rice project between beta-carotene production and yield in its various GMO rices has not been resolved.

Please share this email if you believe its contents may be of interest to others.

Yours

Jonathan

Jonathan Latham, PhD
Executive Director
The Bioscience Resource Project,
Ithaca, NY 14850 USA
Please sign on to our mailing list: http://bit.ly/2rrgQPe <http://bit.ly/2rrgQPe>

Websites:
www.independentsciencenews.org <http://www.independentsciencenews.org/>
www.poisonpapers.org
www.bioscienceresource.org <http://www.bioscienceresource.org/>

Tel: 1-607-319-0279
Twitter and Facebook: @Biosrp

“The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country.”—Edward Bernays, Propaganda