Not really strange, the woodpeckers and small feeder birds here have
picked up that I only clap at/chase Blue Jays and chipmunks (e.g.) and
indeed chickadees wait right on the railing until I've done the job
that lets them get a seed or bite of suet. The pecking order, as noted
by Carol below, remains in place but for the bully/hogs. (They get
their share when no one's on duty : ) )Veer Frost, Passumpsic NEK

On June 13, 2018 at 8:55 PM, "Jane Stein"  wrote:How strange.  The
grackels were afraid of you, but the other birds weren't.
On 6/13/2018 8:11 PM, CLYDE YARNELL wrote:
> Kept our suet feeder down most of the day because the grackles have
taken it over and can clean it out within 5 minutes. Around dinner
time we put it out because we heard the red bellied wp in the trees.
As soon as the red bellied landed on the feeder, the grackle would fly
in and peck at it and chase it away. So while I was cooking dinner, my
husband sat about 10 feet away from the feeder. When this happened,
the red bellied came back and fed several times and took beaks of suet
away to feed its young. After dinner I took up guard ten feet from the
feeder from about 6:30 until 8:00pm. There was an almost constant
stream of downy, hairy and red bellied woodpeckers at the suet. A few
times a young hairy joined a parent. On several occasions, I observed
that the hairy chased a downy away, and a red bellied chased the hairy
off the suet. The downy would just move into a nearby bush until the
hairy left, then it would fly back to the feeder.

> I went inside at 8:00 and peered out the window right after I closed
the door and the grackles were already devouring the suet. They had
been making noises from the trees the whole time I was on guard, and
made several fly-bys but never came to the feeder until after I went
inside.

> Hope all the baby woodpeckers appreciated my teaming with their
parents to get them some tasty suet....