It was a challenging season for me in many ways.  Certainly nothing against Mad River, but joining a new patrol was a very good experience for me personally and professionally not to mention a huge challenge and at the end I learned how much more I must learn as a ski patroller. Oh, and I loved it!

I instructed/guided professionally 7 days which was very rewarding.  I learned much while shadowing in the Selkirks which was challenging and you’ll see why and it was wonderful celebrating Christmas in the wilderness with new friends from Canada, the PNW, Scotland and India in true Christmas spirit…… this meant Christmas was spent without the putrid Macy’s-Amazon.com consumerism crap as well as being devoid of the anti-Christmas whining which includes how one was insulted and got PTSD when Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer showed up on the teevee (oh puhleeeeeeze).

AIARE Course Leader training was a big fun challenge in Crested Butte in January where the snow was unusually lean though the first day of lift serve had some treats to the tune of 11” new which made the skiing feel like an opening day at Mad River – nice fluff but plenty of rocks and brush too.  The class did indeed have a cast of characters as advertised and I’m not saying what I heard that someone apparently said about us. In the end, everyone was supportive and we became friends.

Patrolling in Tucks was pretty much uneventful.  Up through just about all of April, it was either porcelain or dicey avalanche conditions, hence not a whole lot of skiing was had and then the thaws happened in a hurry in May – late Winter to Summer in about 10 days it seemed. Turns for breakfast events were much fun!

Tallies…..
States/Provinces: Vermont, New Hampshire, Colorado, Alberta, British Columbia.
# of days:  I dunno’ ….. 50, I guess
# of months: 6 going from late November through late May
Lift served ski areas: Waterville Valley NH, Killington VT, Lake Louise AB, Crested Butte CO
Uphill Ticket: Mount Snow, VT

Yeah, brutal season for me.  Let's see:
1.     Hernia ...... fortunately, no operation needed.
2.     Assisting with a fatal incident at Killington …..though I was inspired by the super incredible response by the Killingtron patrol.
3.     Rejected for AIARE Course Leader status ..... this alone caused classmate [name withheld] to describe what I am going through as a Shakespearean tragedy. At least I am getting support and well as getting compliments from multiple sources about keeping a stiff upper lip. This was after getting a letter of recommendation from a crack IFMGA guide who in it wrote “I feel confident in recommending him as a course leader.” On the bright side, someone from AIARE World HQ contacted me earlier this week and we developed a plan of action to nail this next season…..update: AIARE World HQ contacted me and we had a very intensive productive discussion and I’m confident I’ll nail this when I reapply next season per their direction.
4.     Dealing with having to give [name withheld] 4 online psychotherapy sessions and an hour+ phone session while [name withheld] was on I-15 in Idaho to help [name withheld] deal with not passing the AMGA Ski Exam…… though this person just landed a sweet guiding gig in the Alaska Range.
5.     BRASS Foundation Mammoth Mountain instructor training getting cancelled ..... after I bought plane tix…… but we have plans for next season that looks promising.
6.     We’re not going there
7.     We’re definitely not going here
8.     Pneumonia that I suspect I caught Thanksgiving with 2 setbacks (I think I might have skied too hard at Killington and Mount Washington) even after I got a pneumonia vaccine in late January and I am getting set up for a lung CAT scan as the doctor told me in mid-December "there might be more to this than we realize".  This was after the clinic in town here assured me that I did not have pneumonia and that I was not contagious and would be alright in 2-3 days. I was not properly diagnosed until after almost 3 weeks. I knew something was very wrong when I had no urge to drink beer and I was worried that I had Lyme Disease. This was a brutal struggle the entire season and I could not accomplish as much as I wanted to. I think I’ve finally snuffed out 98% of it – only a daily cough or 2 the last week. UGH!
9.     Other miserable things that I forgot.

Bring on some ski dreams!

Mark P. Renson