Hi all,

We have been asked to run some soil samples taken from a salt marsh in Australia, the majority of which are from the surface, but there are also some from a core. The samples have been dried and ground and analysed for TOC.

Based on a requirement of 400 ug carbon per sample for our system (Sercon 20-22), some of the samples will require between 5 and 15 mg of soil per capsule. I spend the majority of my time working with collagen in the 1 mg range, so this venturing into the unknown.

For those of you working with soils, is there anything I need to be aware of when running this type of material for delta 13C, and how much material per capsule is too much?

Many thanks for any assistance.

Matt

--
Please note that I check emails only twice a day, so urgent or quick queries may be resolved more efficiently by telephone or face-to-face.

Mr Matthew von Tersch
BioArCh Laboratory Manager

Department of Archaeology - University of York
Room 229, Environment Building
Wentworth Way
York YO10 5DD

Tel: 01904 328282