Hi Matt,

Unless your instrument lacks sensitivity you will not need to run 400ug carbon. Most likely you can obtain suitable precision at 200ug, possibly even down to 100ug. Perhaps try running a few standards at these lower levels to see how the instrument performs.

You are likely to get better combustion with smaller samples and certainly less build up of ash so smaller could well be better.

It would be a different story if you were also measuring N isotopes …

Chris

Mr Chris Pullan

Director

Goss Scientific Instruments Limited