One day left! Please submit your abstract if you want to present in our session:

Hydrochronology: Advances in Tracer Methods and Modeling of Residence Times in Hydrology
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm18/prelim.cgi/Session/46433

We welcome abstracts that cross traditional boundaries between ecohydrology, unsaturated zone, surface water, and groundwater hydrology, dealing with theoretical concepts, tracer studies or numerical model investigations of water residence times. The abstract deadline is August 1st.

Cheers,
Ate Visser (Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory),
Arash Massoudieh (Catholic University of America),
Chris Green (United States Geological Survey) and
Ype van der Velde (VU University)

Hydrochronology: Advances in Tracer Methods and Modeling of Residence Times in Hydrology

Residence times are an important characteristic of hydrological systems, controlling water rock interaction, biogeochemical cycling, contaminant transport and breakthrough, and water supply sustainability. Integration of residence time analysis and catchment hydrology has led to a better comprehension of catchment processes, both in the unsaturated and saturated zone, and the interaction between vegetation and hydrology.

This session invites new analytical methods (e.g. radioactive isotopes) to study water ages, characterization of surface waters and groundwater by chemical or isotopic data (e.g. tritium), and applications of numerical models and ranked age storage selection functions to dynamic hydrological systems. We welcome studies into water storage dynamics, solute fate and transport, weathering, and erosion processes in relation to feature of the landscape. We especially encourage studies that investigate the age of the evapotranspiration flux as an integral part of the hydrochronology of the critical zone.