I'm sure you saw, but a quick Google search revealed a ton of options. If
you have the time and wanted to go as cheap as possible you could make a
fingerprint scanner system or card scanner from an Arduino or raspberry pi.
You could even use a qr scan system/time clock. There are a bunch of these
tools. The student ID has a qr code laminated on it that could be generated
from Google and tied to a Google form, use a Chromebook, webcam, an old
phone, a new phone, an actual scanner to swipe the card under and whoo bang
it logs em in or out with a timestamp. The form data may require some
maintenance as it would fill up, but a quick Google script could copy and
archive the data, or whatever. Again there are many free apps out there
that can scan the code and timestamp it.

On the side with the parent contact. Again, a quick search has a ton of
options. Some free ones that come to mind are various social media tools...
Slack, Google plus community,  Facebook group pages, a massive Google
classroom, Remind, Google Hangout sms service, a school Google voice
account with sms enabled (free)..etc.
Depending on what your budget is and as a pilot, you may want a free
service to start with and see how it goes. I would use a service that let's
you create a user for the office like Slack, what's app, Google voice sms,
(there are a ton of these too), then allow parents to connect if they
choose.

Ok that's my two cents as a parent and a teacher.

Sounds like a fun project.
I may have my computer science students build one for fun.