Has anyone else migrated their Google domain (with Chrome devices)?

What time frame did it take to migrate?

Did you do this yourself or hire a vendor to do this?

I have been trying to work with Google Support to solidify a plan for doing this, but with each call I'm being told something different. If you have migrated your domain successfully, what was the process? Here is what I have so far:

Our Goal: Migrate our current domain wwsu.org to huusd.org. All users, devices, documents, groups, calendars, security settings, emails should transfer to the domain as well.

While discussing this issue with Google support I am led to understand:

  1. We cannot migrate our domain (switch the primary domain) from wwsu to huusd while we have Google Chrome licenses associated with our domain. We must first deprovision all devices from our domain. Per google this can only be done in batches of 40 at a time, ensuring auto-re-enrollment is turned off

Users will still be able to utilize the devices at this time, but they won’t be managed by wwsu.org

  1. 2. Once we switch the primary from wwsu to huusd, the new huusd domain won’t have any users associated with it. We can bulk add users via csv file import, but doing it this way is essentially creating new users. This won’t:

    1. Migrate the wwsu user docs and security to this user

    2. Migrate calendars.

    3. Create the user with a wwsu.org alias

What has been recommended is to MANUALLY rename all the users from [log in to unmask] to [log in to unmask]. This can be done via dropdown. I’m looking into the feasibility of bulk renaming users. I imagine this can be done before swtiching or after.

As I understand it, this will migrate the wwsu user to the huusd domain and accomplish points a, b, and c from above. But this is time consuming. Additionally, once the user has been renamed to huusd, they will not be able to access google services, such as email or chomebook login using wwsu.org. So everything will have to be communicated BEFORE the renaming, that huusd.org needs to be used. So nothing will be accessible until after we have gone through the time consuming process of renaming each user, and what reasonable time frame should be communicated before users try the new huusd login?

4. Then we would need to migrate our device licenses into the huusd domain and re-enroll (or enroll) each device. This is also a challenge. As I am being told we need to:

  1. Manually powerwash each device which we would need to be physically in front of

  2. Re-enroll each device manully cntrl\alt\E.

  3. For each device to re-enroll into the proper domain OU this should be done with an account that is in that OU, ensuring the account used has enrollment permissions in the domain, and the setting in the domain is set to enroll device in users OU. We could have each user do this themselves, but we would have to communicate the process to them prior to renaming them. Once renamed, we would have no way to reach out to each user to let them know to powerwash and re-enroll their device.

--
Philip Hayes
System Administrator