Google has to migrate the licensing for Chrome, no vendor can do that part.

For the rest of the migration, due to the disruption to end users, I have
always had a vendor expedite this during the summer.  Now would be too late.

At WWSU I used Promevo, but they are pricey now I believe.  Very happy with
that migration.

At EWSD/CCSU we used SysCloud.  Went very smoothly also.  Three domains to
one last year.

We also use Bettercloud to support bulk changes to the Google domain and
support management functions.  This service could help a manual process.

It's the drive sharing and calendar sharing that will kill a manual
process.  In a small district you can train people to migrate their own
content.  In a larger district like HUUSD, it is prohibitive.

Craig

Craig Donnan, MA, CETL
Network Administrator
Essex Westford School District
2 Educational Drive | Essex Jct, VT 05452

Office: 802-857-7130

___________________________________

*For immediate assistance call:*
*Helpdesk Office Hours 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM*
*EWSD Technology Department*
*Internally: 1234*
*Externally: 802-857-7777*

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 11:29 AM Philip Hayes <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> *Has anyone else migrated their Google domain (with Chrome devices)?What
> time frame did it take to migrate?Did you do this yourself or hire a vendor
> to do this?I have been trying to work with Google Support to solidify a
> plan for doing this, but with each call I'm being told something different.
> If you have migrated your domain successfully, what was the process? Here
> is what I have so far:Our Goal: Migrate our current domain wwsu.org
> <http://wwsu.org> to huusd.org <http://huusd.org>. All users, devices,
> documents, groups, calendars, security settings, emails should transfer to
> the domain as well. While discussing this issue with Google support I am
> led to understand: 1. We cannot migrate our domain (switch the primary
> domain) from wwsu to huusd while we have Google Chrome licenses associated
> with our domain. We must first deprovision all devices from our domain. Per
> google this can only be done in batches of 40 at a time, ensuring
> auto-re-enrollment is turned off2. Users will still be able to utilize the
> devices at this time, but they won’t be managed by wwsu.org
> <http://wwsu.org>*
>

>    1.
>
>    2. Once we switch the primary from wwsu to huusd, the new huusd domain
>    won’t have any users associated with it. We can bulk add users via csv file
>    import, but doing it this way is essentially creating new users. This won’t:
>

> * 1. Migrate the wwsu user docs and security to this user2. Migrate
> calendars. 3. Create the user with a wwsu.org <http://wwsu.org> aliasWhat
> has been recommended is to MANUALLY rename all the users from
> [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> to [log in to unmask]
> <[log in to unmask]>. This can be done via dropdown. I’m looking into the
> feasibility of bulk renaming users. I imagine this can be done before
> swtiching or after. As I understand it, this will migrate the wwsu user to
> the huusd domain and accomplish points a, b, and c from above. But this is
> time consuming. Additionally, once the user has been renamed to huusd, they
> will not be able to access google services, such as email or chomebook
> login using wwsu.org <http://wwsu.org>. So everything will have to be
> communicated BEFORE the renaming, that huusd.org <http://huusd.org> needs
> to be used. So nothing will be accessible until after we have gone through
> the time consuming process of renaming each user, and what reasonable time
> frame should be communicated before users try the new huusd login?4. Then
> we would need to migrate our device licenses into the huusd domain and
> re-enroll (or enroll) each device. This is also a challenge. As I am being
> told we need to: 1. Manually powerwash each device which we would need to
> be physically in front of2. Re-enroll each device manully cntrl\alt\E. 3.
> For each device to re-enroll into the proper domain OU this should be done
> with an account that is in that OU, ensuring the account used has
> [...]

The
information contained in this communication, including any attachments, is
confidential,constitutes privileged communication, and is intended only for
the use of the addressee. This message may not be forwarded without prior
consent from  the sender. The information in this e-mail is also protected
by the rights afforded under Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
(FERPA) and school district policies.  Any unauthorized use, forwarding,
distribution,disclosure, printing or copying is strictly prohibited and may
be unlawful.  If you have received this communication in error, please
notify us immediately at 802-857-7777 or return e-mail,and delete any
copies of this message immediately. Any inadvertent disclosure of this
communication shall not compromise the confidential nature of the
communication.