Hi Matthew,

Like the others, I strongly recommend using the mesh inserts. We run oilfield brines (TDS > 300,000mg/L!) routinely on our Picarro, with reasonably good results. Although for those samples, we swap in a clean insert and septum after each sample (~8 injections), and clean the syringe routinely. If you do not, I've noticed that salt buildup will affect your values. As for your current issues, most of the salt build-up is probably just NaCl, so if you run the regular cleaning procedure with DI water, that should take care of most of what's currently in your vaporizer. One suggestion - run the water backwards, so it comes out the injection port. This is because most of the salt will be close to the injection port, so that way you don't 'contaminate' the rest of the vaporizer. Hope that helps - and use the inserts! You won't have to clean it ever again!

Cheers,

Mitchell Skuce
Isobrine Solutions