Thanks Bob and the others,

I will hopefully be able replace the Penning tube tomorrow by a new one (but not the outer red Magnet houseing however). I might have a Magnet housing of the AIM S or SL series at hand instead of the AIM XL series that in the Delta V. Will that also work?

The reason why the Penning is not working after cleaning is most probably related to the gap between the shield disk and the striker pin in the electrode assembly (thanks Andrew!). In fact, during cleaning we had to re-align and fix the shield disk to the central pin.

I will start to check on the various suggestion and return to your wisdom in case I can not further down trace the issue.

thanks and regards,
Robert