In an electron impact source the ion current i is proportional to the gas pressure p, the size s and length l of the ionising electron beam

  i = c(i) x p x s x l

where c(i) is the ionization constant which accounts for all ionization specific parameters which depend on the particular isotopic species.

Another way of putting this is:

  i = E(q) x p(q)

where E(q) is the source pressure sensitivity in A/mbar and p(q) is the pressure inside the ion source.

Meeting the condition given by this equation is a prerequisite for accurate measurement of isotope ratios.

That being said, because the term p(q) is impossible to measure  and thus not known, the following equation is used.

  i = E(m) x [Ds/Dt]

where Ds/Dt is the sample consumption rate and E(m) is the molar sensitivity which is measured in As/mol.

E(m) is related to the system pressure sensitivity E(p) by:

E(m) = RTL(qp)E(p)

L(qp) is the molecular gas conductance and R is the universal gas constant.

This relationship can be approximated by:

E(m) in As/mol is approx equal to 400E(p) in As/mbar.

The term E(m) is the basis of (or is being converted into) the term E(mm) that gives the number of gas molecules required in the ion source to detect one ion.

By rule of thumb an E(mm) of 1 molecule/ion corresponds to an E(m) value of 10,000 As/mol.

Prof. Dr W Meier-Augenstein, CChem, FRSC
Stable Isotope Forensics & Analytical Sciences

Robert Gordon University
School of Pharmacy and Life Sciences
The Ian Wood Building
Garthdee Road