Hi Robin,

Though I haven’t heard from you, I thought my suggestion might still prove helpful; if not for you then for colleagues facing similar problems.

Unless one wishes to go for maximum bang for one’s effort (exchange correction and scale normalization in one go), the situation you are facing can be solved without a keratin standard with a true, non-ex d2H value of about +60 ‰.

The keratin standards you are using are perfectly adequate to deal with correction for exchangeable hydrogen based on the comparative equilibration method using 100 % matrix matched standards.  Scale normalization of measured d2H values can be achieved in a separate step by including reference waters in silver tubes such as USGS48 and USGS49 as part of the batch run; these reference waters are available from the Reston lab.

https://isotopes.usgs.gov/lab/referencematerials.html

Best,

Wolfram