Here is one way of doing it - these elements do not require much in terms of voltage: http://www.thermsys.de/mineralisolierte-mantelheizleiter/

We have also used glass fiber socks for insulation and simple stainless steel or Kanthal as heating coils, as described in:

- Compound‐specific bromine isotope analysis of brominated diphenyl ethers using gas chromatography multiple collector/inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry, Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 2010.

/Henry

From: Stable Isotope Geochemistry <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Fred Martin Kaaby
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2018 10:34 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ISOGEOCHEM] Heating and cooling of small dimension tubes and pipes

Dear Isogeochem,

I want to heat a 1-2 meter 1/8 inches tubing and a 1/16 inches tubing of (electrical conducting) nickel or steel, hopefully without using a transformer from netpower (220 ACV) and ordinary (asbestos) insulated heating cords. I hope to only use a laboratory power supply (5-30DCV). The purpose is to avoid condensation of volatiles before analysis by GC on tubing walls (70-90 degrees Celsius).

I have been suggested heating wires. But I have not found any insulated types. I was also suggested Kapton insulated heating foil (Omega). Now I am looking into “Clip attachment trace heater for heating thin pipes and hoses” from Hillesheim. There are various heating jackets on the market, but they are usually not so flexible, is usually couple of meters in length and terrible expensive.

So now I’m interested in what Isogeochem members are using to heat tubes?

In a separated system I want to condensate water to dry a gas stream in ¼ inch or 6 mm steel pipes which I can wrap around into a coldfinger or any pattern that I want. So I am also looking into cooling options. I also hope to avoid using cryo liquids or dry ice. I know peltier elements are able to come down to -10 degrees Celsius.

So do you know about a commercial laboratory setup which uses peltier elements to dry a gas stream?

Best Regards

Fred Martin Kaaby