Most schools have determined that self-insurance (purchasing extra to swap
is cheaper and more effective than covering individual device insurance)

+1 to Mark's use of a downgrade to have a 'cost' associated with damage
patterns of behavior.  There has to be some 'cost' even if it is not
financial.  Some parents can't afford to repair a school-owned device.

+1 to Ray on the school owning the 'insurance' plan.  The parents didn't
agree to the program directly, though there is usually a parental buy-in
with signature, it still is, in a way an obligation for the curricular
program to have devices for each student.  For kids that can't handle it,
keeping the device at school, is not a bad strategy.  Device damage goes up
logarithmically (a turn of phrase - not exact) with a take-home policy.

Swanton Ohio has a great website that explains all their policies and looks
like something worth emulating.

http://www.swantonschools.org/administration/department-of-technology/chromebook-information/

Craig Donnan, MA, CETL
Network Administrator
Essex Westford School District
2 Educational Drive | Essex Jct, VT 05452

Office: 802-857-7130

___________________________________

*For immediate assistance call:*
*Helpdesk Office Hours 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM*
*EWSD Technology Department*
*Internally: 1234*
*Externally: 802-857-7777*

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 3:06 PM Ethan Kichura <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Keith,
>
> Generally speaking, if there are damages and it is intentional, we would
> charge. Admittedly it gets pretty gray to identify intentional vs.
> unintentional damage in most situations, so while we err on the side of
> being lenient with this policy, we also are looking to communicate the
> responsibility of students in properly managing devices they "own." We have
> had a lot of students in some of our schools within the district
> intentionally damage devices without this policy, which I know helped to
> lead toward its creation. In the long-term, I would also like to move
> toward an insurance plan for them as well, if that helps to decide how
> to proceed in your own case.
>
> Thanks for bringing it up! I also find this an intriguing conversation
> piece, and would relish other perspectives on the best way to balance
> responsibility with assured access (which I admittedly hate suspending for
> any reason!).
>
> Best,
>
> Ethan Kichura
> --------------------
> *Technology Coordinator*
> Highgate Elementary School
> 219 Gore Rd.
> Highgate Center, VT
> (802) 868-4170
> --
> *Technical Problems?*
> Submit a Support Request <https://fnwsu.mojohelpdesk.com/login>!
> Or call me (*ext. 204)*
> --
>

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 11:10 AM Keith Puffer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Ethan,
>>
>>    - Are the offenses/fees for any damage (unintentional, accidental) or
>>    for just for intentional damage?
>>    - Do you provide cases for your devices?
>>
>> +1 Ray based on several years discussions on this topic (my personal
>> opinion/perspective).
>>
>> Keith
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 3:26 PM, Ethan Kichura <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jeff,
>>>
>>> This is a question that we have been asking for a few years now and have
>>> had a few different systems tested to share with you on what does and does
>>> not work.
>>>
>>> The first few years we had no issues because of what I like to call the
>>> "new car" effect, where everyone is being careful with the new tools and
>>> encouraging students to do the same. After that, we noticed a steep raise
>>> in damages, and found that we had students who were intentionally damaging
>>> them as part of non-defiance, etc... We responded this year by having a
>>> more robust digital citizenship training for our staff and for our
>>> students, and have been tracking damages for each student's device (they
>>> have a 1:1 for 3rd-6th grades and the device follows them from year to
>>> year). Parents and students alike signed a form at the beginning of the
>>> school year that gave them a rundown of the school's expectations when it
> [...]

The
information contained in this communication, including any attachments, is
confidential,constitutes privileged communication, and is intended only for
the use of the addressee. This message may not be forwarded without prior
consent from  the sender. The information in this e-mail is also protected
by the rights afforded under Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
(FERPA) and school district policies.  Any unauthorized use, forwarding,
distribution,disclosure, printing or copying is strictly prohibited and may
be unlawful.  If you have received this communication in error, please
notify us immediately at 802-857-7777 or return e-mail,and delete any
copies of this message immediately. Any inadvertent disclosure of this
communication shall not compromise the confidential nature of the
communication.