Most schools have determined that self-insurance (purchasing extra to swap is cheaper and more effective than covering individual device insurance)

+1 to Mark's use of a downgrade to have a 'cost' associated with damage patterns of behavior.  There has to be some 'cost' even if it is not financial.  Some parents can't afford to repair a school-owned device.

+1 to Ray on the school owning the 'insurance' plan.  The parents didn't agree to the program directly, though there is usually a parental buy-in with signature, it still is, in a way an obligation for the curricular program to have devices for each student.  For kids that can't handle it, keeping the device at school, is not a bad strategy.  Device damage goes up logarithmically (a turn of phrase - not exact) with a take-home policy.

Swanton Ohio has a great website that explains all their policies and looks like something worth emulating.

http://www.swantonschools.org/administration/department-of-technology/chromebook-information/

Craig Donnan, MA, CETL
Network Administrator
Essex Westford School District
2 Educational Drive | Essex Jct, VT 05452

Office: 802-857-7130

For immediate assistance call:
Helpdesk Office Hours 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM
EWSD Technology Department
Internally: 1234
Externally: 802-857-7777