We buy all our 1:! chomebooks with 4 year warranties with ADP.  It might
not be the cheapest way to go, but it does give me a fixed cost to provide
each student with a working device for their career here, unless they
damage it intentionally, in which case the warranty doesn't, in theory,
cover it.  In practice the manufacturer doesn't know if the kid did the
damage intentionally or accidentally, except in extreme cases.  One kid
threw his chromebook out his apartment window, it landed on a passing car,
the police were summoned, and they gave it back to me in pieces months
later.

In the cases of intentional damage, it's an administrator's call, but we
have a stockpile of 6 year old Samsung chromebooks, we'd usually give the
kid one of those.  They're not worth much, so it's no loss if he damages
that one, too.  In other cases we do say you can't take it home any more,
and it's dropped off in the Principal's office at the end of the day.  That
all depends on whether a teacher says the kid really does need a chromebook
at home to do homework.  Frequently the kids who do this kind of stuff
aren't taking the most academically challenging of the courses we offer
anyway...

Anyway, these cases are rare enough that they can be dealt with on a case
by case basis, usually with meetings with the parent(s) involved.

As to charging, we only charge for intentional damage, and lost items.
Kids rarely lose the chromebooks permanently (leaving them in classrooms is
another story), but they lose chargers at an incredible rate, even though
they could just leave them at home if they'd just charge the thing
overnight.