We haven't encountered this issue at CVU or CVSD yet. It doesn't appear as if there's a method to turn it off for your entire domain, but you could use student/employee IDs per this help document. Although it looks like Google can decide that isn't the appropriate challenge format and give them that interstitial page requesting a phone number. Kind of odd that they would be forcing that in an educational domain though.

Nick Clark
Lead Technician
Champlain Valley Union High School
Champlain Valley School District