Once when I was on top of a mountain in New Hampshire, I was feeding a gray
jay peanuts out of my outstretched hand. (I enjoyed doing that because it
was thrilling to see these wild birds come flying through the woods to
light right on my hand.) Anyway, this bird wasn't getting the peanuts fast
enough, so he vigorously pecked my palm. I yelped and jerked my hand away,
dumping the peanuts on the ground, which the jay promply settled on and
ate. He had it all figured out.
Tom Slayton