I have seen turkeys do the same thing, only while standing on the deck railing.  Reminded me of a gymnast on the balance beam!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Barbara Brosnan" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Vermont Birds" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2018 9:17:13 AM
Subject: [VTBIRD] Smart birds

Then there are the turkeys, often regarded as not the brightest light bulbs
etc.  After a deep March snowfall four turkeys came in to our feeders and
ate seeds on the ground.  However, one turkey wanted more so he jumped up
high and slapped his head sideways on the feeder.  Seeds flew down to the
ground and then he and the other three dined quite nicely.  He performed
this maneuver over and over again.   Perhaps the other three put him up to
it?  Or they drew straws???

Barbara Brosnan

Weybridge