From: Medical Libraries Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Kraft, Michelle
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2018 9:44 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [BULK][EXT] Sci-hub

I have a real problem with Sci-Hub.  If it were just a case of enabling those without access to articles to better obtain those articles, it would be one thing. But it isn't.

Sci-Hub is a whole lot more than just getting articles and it is time we start educating users that going into Sci Hub can be just as dangerous making your bank password, PASSWORD.

https://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2018/09/18/guest-post-think-sci-hub-is-just-downloading-pdfs-think-again/

"Sci-Hub is not just stealing PDFs. They're phishing, they're spamming, they're hacking, they're password-cracking, and basically doing anything to find personal credentials to get into academic institutions. While illegal access to published content is the most obvious target, this is just the tip of an iceberg concealing underlying efforts to steal multiple streams of personal and research data from the world's academic institutions."

We should be helping to educate our users to stop using sites like Sci-Hub not only because it is illegally obtaining journal articles through ours our other's subscriptions, but also because it is a gateway to stealing so much more from our own institutions and personally. Maybe if a researcher knew that going to Sci-Hub opened their entire research up to theft they would think twice about going there to get an article.

Michelle

Michelle Kraft, MLS, AHIP

Director, Library Services

Cleveland Clinic Floyd D. Loop Alumni Library

9500 Euclid Ave. NA 30

Cleveland, OH 44195

(216) 445-7338

[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]:[log in to unmask]>>

orcid.org/0000-0001-8821-4828