Will,

I am well aware of the law, thank you.  These kids are not “residents” of Vermont and I will continue to work with my legislators.  One of them complained to me about her home State, “a Republican State, screwing her” and not getting her absentee ballot in time.

Good luck the rest of the week, I know we can all use it.

Cassie

From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Senning, Will
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2018 1:14 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: turnout and ENR

Hi Cassie,

The statute regarding election night reporting is 17 VSA 2588(3).

I understand as well as anyone that people have different opinions about college students registering to vote where they attend school.  However, their legal right to do so has been well established since 1979 when the U.S. Supreme Court upheld a District Court decision out of Texas that held that college students have the same right as any other resident to register and vote in the place they are residing while attending college.

The Supreme Court decision is HERE and the underlying District Court decision is HERE.

Please contact me directly if you have any questions.

Will

Will Senning

Director of Elections and Campaign Finance

Vermont Secretary of State’s Office

128 State Street

Montpelier, VT 05633-1101

(802) 828 – 0175