Interesting that these teens used chalk to scrawl
swastikas AND racist anti-Black comments, and
that they turned themselves in! I wonder what the swastika signifies to them?

Years ago -- mid-1980s -- I went to a punk
concert at the Ritz (remember that?). Some young
toughs were sitting near the entrance wearing
swastikas. I was enraged, but my Red Balloon
Collective comrade Nicos, from Cyprus, went over
to them and just talked with them explaining the
history of that symbol and what it meant. Well,
those kids ripped off their swastika patches and
spread the info to their friends!

Great lesson there. Don't assume that everyone
means harm by certain symbols. They likely are
not aware of the history, and only see it as
"rebellion". Symbols from one generation get
recycled for new meanings, though they continue
to weigh like a nightmare on the brains of the living.

Take the time to talk to people one-on-one!

Mitchel Cohen

https://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/41/45/dtg-swastikas-in-brooklyn-heights-teen-arrested-2018-11-09-bk.html
<https://www.brooklynpaper.com/sections/41/45/>November
5, 2018 /
<https://www.brooklynpaper.com/>Brooklyn news /
<https://www.brooklynpaper.com/sections/downtown/>Brooklyn Heights

Teens turn themselves in for scrawling swastikas in Bklyn Heights

By Julianne Cuba

Two teens on Monday turned themselves in for
scrawling swastikas and writing a racist slur on
the exterior of several Brooklyn Heights buildings last week.

Cops on Saturday circulated photos of the
suspects, an 18-year-old from Ditmas Park and a
17-year-old from Red Hook, who on Oct. 30
allegedly used chalk to draw the symbol the Nazis
turned into an icon of hate on four Garden Place
buildings between Joralemon and State streets,
and spell out the foul term n----- on the stoop
of a fifth building down the block.

The acts of vandalism occurred roughly a half-day
before youngsters paraded through the
neighborhood to trick or treat on Halloween, and
just days after a gunman killed 11 people inside a Pittsburgh synagogue.

The two teens walked into the 77th and 78th
Precinct station houses some time after midnight,
and cops then cuffed each before issuing
hate-crime charges to both, according to Police
Department spokesman Det. Ahmed Nasser.

The suspects had yet to be arraigned as of Monday
evening, according to a rep for the district attorney’s office.

Their arrest came days after cops on Friday
apprehended
<https://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/41/45/dtg-prospect-heights-racist-graffiti-2018-11-09-bk.html?utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=misclinks&utm_source=article_body&utm_content=intra>a
26-year-old Bedford-Stuyvesant resident on
hate-crime charges, after he allegedly defiled a
Prospect Heights temple by writing anti-Semitic
statements inside it on Thursday, and set fires
at multiple Williamsburg Jewish centers the next day.
Reach reporter Julianne Cuba at (718) 260–4577 or
by e-mail at
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Follow her on Twitter <https://twitter.com/julcuba>@julcuba.