Interesting that these teens used chalk to scrawl swastikas AND racist anti-Black comments, and that they turned themselves in! I wonder what the swastika signifies to them?

Years ago -- mid-1980s -- I went to a punk concert at the Ritz (remember that?). Some young toughs were sitting near the entrance wearing swastikas. I was enraged, but my Red Balloon Collective comrade Nicos, from Cyprus, went over to them and just talked with them explaining the history of that symbol and what it meant. Well, those kids ripped off their swastika patches and spread the info to their friends!

Great lesson there. Don't assume that everyone means harm by certain symbols. They likely are not aware of the history, and only see it as "rebellion". Symbols from one generation get recycled for new meanings, though they continue to weigh like a nightmare on the brains of the living.

Take the time to talk to people one-on-one!

Mitchel Cohen

https://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/41/45/dtg-swastikas-in-brooklyn-heights-teen-arrested-2018-11-09-bk.html
November 5, 2018 / Brooklyn news / Brooklyn Heights

Teens turn themselves in for scrawling swastikas in Bklyn Heights

By Julianne Cuba

Two teens on Monday turned themselves in for scrawling swastikas and writing a racist slur on the exterior of several Brooklyn Heights buildings last week.

Cops on Saturday circulated photos of the suspects, an 18-year-old from Ditmas Park and a 17-year-old from Red Hook, who on Oct. 30 allegedly used chalk to draw the symbol the Nazis turned into an icon of hate on four Garden Place buildings between Joralemon and State streets, and spell out the foul term n----- on the stoop of a fifth building down the block.

The acts of vandalism occurred roughly a half-day before youngsters paraded through the neighborhood to trick or treat on Halloween, and just days after a gunman killed 11 people inside a Pittsburgh synagogue.

The two teens walked into the 77th and 78th Precinct station houses some time after midnight, and cops then cuffed each before issuing hate-crime charges to both, according to Police Department spokesman Det. Ahmed Nasser.

The suspects had yet to be arraigned as of Monday evening, according to a rep for the district attorney’s office.

Their arrest came days after cops on Friday apprehended a 26-year-old Bedford-Stuyvesant resident on hate-crime charges, after he allegedly defiled a Prospect Heights temple by writing anti-Semitic statements inside it on Thursday, and set fires at multiple Williamsburg Jewish centers the next day.
Reach reporter Julianne Cuba at (718) 260–4577 or by e-mail at [log in to unmask]. Follow her on Twitter @julcuba.