A whooping 700 plus Ring-necked ducks were encountered today at the beginning of the eastern end of Sandbar Causeway, Milton VT.  They were observed in the open water to the south of the causeway, across the road from the fishing access pull off located there.  At first I thought I was looking at a lot stumps and mud that were exposed from low water levels.  But thru my scope saw that it was a huge mass of sleeping ducks.  Luckily I made a count by estimates of 10s, 50s and 100s before they woke up and started actively moving about.  It was quite the sight.

To scan this location, one must follow a short trail from the parking area, and stand on the north side of the road.  This means that cars and trucks will be whizzing thru your field of view as you scan across the road.  However a stout guard rail makes a good barrier.

I’ve seen hundreds of Wood Ducks in this area before, but never this many Ring-necks.  For that matter, this many Ring-necks together, ever.

Enjoy the unexpected,

Liz Lackey
Stowe