Bought at the swap two years in a row at around that age and realized it
was foolish. Will never do it again. Kids grow all season, which means if
you buy properly fit boots you're going to need to buy a 2nd pair at the
swap as well, as well as poles when you get to that age.    And if you're
like me, that will mean an extra trip to the ski shop for binding
adjustment.  All extra costs. Tunes will also cost extra. Lease in Richmond
and your tuning will be free, Other shops have various levels of discount.
If you own, you also have to spend time trying to unload your kids gear
every year. I just can't see how it's possible to save enough to make the
various hassles better than leasing.