Bought at the swap two years in a row at around that age and realized it was foolish. Will never do it again. Kids grow all season, which means if you buy properly fit boots you're going to need to buy a 2nd pair at the swap as well, as well as poles when you get to that age.    And if you're like me, that will mean an extra trip to the ski shop for binding adjustment.  All extra costs. Tunes will also cost extra. Lease in Richmond and your tuning will be free, Other shops have various levels of discount.  If you own, you also have to spend time trying to unload your kids gear every year. I just can't see how it's possible to save enough to make the various hassles better than leasing.

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 4:36 PM Wesley Alan Wright <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
We leased exclusively from age 3 or so up to, well, now. Always from the Alpine Shop in South Burlington. Alpine Shop grants lessees a $20 credit each year one leases, up to $200 of which can be applied on a single purchase. We cashed in $200 this year on the kid's first pair of owned rather than leased skis — Volkl VTA 108, on sale for 30% of MSRP. Mounted with a new old stock set of Marker Duke AT binders I had laying around. Skis are so nice, he wanted a set of rock skis so the new ones wouldn’t get hurt, so as we needed boots anyway, we leased a pair of Volkl 90eight skis and Lange boots.

I think we still have some credit, so maybe next year we can negotiate some AT boots to wear to college. And skins.

> On Nov 1, 2018, at 10:33 AM, Matthew Kulas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> You can usually find a toddler to sub-6-year-old setup for dirt cheap at Cochran's. Go the season-lease route only if you come up empty at the sale.
>
> —Matt

Wesley Alan Wright, Retired
UVM Academic Computing Services Legacy Applications Division
Starksboro, VT