Pre-season continues .......
We had Glade Brigade at Waterville a few weeks ago and it is continuing on weekends.  The snow sports school had been doing this the last few years and we actually have some glades on the map now. Snow sports decided to open up the program to other departments for team bonding/community building so off we went a few weeks ago in compliance with USFS agreements - former Snow Ranger Justin ensures we're in line.  GM Tim was with us - how many ski areas have GMs like that? ....... I wonder what Bunny Bob is up to nowadays but maybe we shouldn't go there. With Glade Brigade, it's just like being at Mad River except with plenty of snowmaking, grooming and patrol chicks on snowboards.  :)
OEC Refresher was last Saturday with wet snow and cold rain to remind of us the impending Holy Season. It was conducted at Crotched with the Crotch' Patrol and we were reminded that we were guests which meant be on time, period.  GM Tim and his wife Katie were with us training in a display of Team Waterville and in the front row of 6, 5 of us were from Team Waterville, the bright chipper diligent patrollers we are.  Roughly 19 years of patrol experience, Senior training and never being shy about getting extra practice/training paid off for me and I felt good about many things but still wary of the unexpected.
The day after OEC Refresher was a day to hook up with Team Thunderbolt on the real Moby Dick.  Once more, I was treated like a king and they gave me a nice bight orange Thunderbolt Trail Crew shirt.  We did our tasks and it pays off as I found out 2 years ago on Thanksgiving as just a mere few inches on the lower mountain skied well with no hitting bottom for me and outstanding untracked tree skiing was had higher up. Jonathan was lauded for his work the last few weeks - we know where he had been.
ESAW and then AIARE training this weekend and then Mountain Wx Fx training weekend in Gorham almost 2 weeks from now which should be fun.
 Mark P. Renson