Guest Speaker: Stephnie Farmerie, MSN, APRN, FNP-C, Nurse Practitioner at Clinica Hispana de La Paz
Date: Wednesday, December 12, 2018
Time: 10am CT / 9am MT

Description: As a health care provider, it is important to know your community and the culture of the community. How you respond to certain situations can impact the health of the community. While cultural competence is important within underserved communities, it is also important in providing care to mainstream communities as well.  We will discuss the terms cultural competence and cultural humility and the implications of these terms. We will also discuss how a person becomes culturally competent and the biggest indicator of cultural competence.

Speaker Bio: Stephnie Farmerie is a seasoned health care practitioner having practiced over 35 years as both an RN and FNP. She has always had a passion for understanding and working with underserved populations. Her time as a nurse has taken her to the inner-city hospitals and clinics of Nashville, Memphis, and Chattanooga. She has worked as a Nurse Practitioner in remote clinics in South Dakota, Nevada, and Idaho. Stephnie is currently working in a Hispanic clinic in Nashville while completing a PhD in Nursing. Her dissertation focus is on cultural competence as related to traditional Hispanic treatment of diabetes. She is an active member of the Transcultural Nursing Society and the Rural Nurse Organization.

For more information: https://nnlm.gov/scr/professional-development/connections. No registration is required for this class.

To Join the Meeting

  1.  Go to https://nih.webex.com.
  2.  Enter the session number: 298 363 367​​ and password: webinar
  3.  Please provide your name and email address.
  4.  You may have to download and install a web add-on or run a temporary application depending on the browser you use.
  5.  Select your audio connection preference:
*Call using computer - Adjust settings and test the connection
*Call from WebEx - Enter your direct phone number and press 1 when prompted
*Call in - Call: 1-650-479-3208 (US/Canada toll number)
Enter access code: 298 363 367​​ #
Enter the Attendee ID on your screen and press #
  6.  If you are using a mobile device, your access code is: webinar

For live captioning, please use http://livewrite-ncc.appspot.com/attend?event=cit001
For any technical issues, please call: 817-735-2223.

--
Sarah Miles, MLIS/MA
Health Professions Coordinator