Dear Wolfram, dear Heiko,

Here are some comments from me about the "13C working standards".

The oxygen in the elemental analysis is needed for several functions. On
the one hand for the oxidation of the tin capsule and this oxidation
causes the temperature increase inside the tin capsule, so with the
sample. Second, to quantitatively react the sample to the analysis gas
(e.g., N2, CO2, SO2). During the combustion or decomposition process,
inorganic samples sometimes overoxidize, e.g. SO3 in the reaction. This
is then reduced in the same reactor or a second separate by means of
elemental copper to the analysis gas. There must always be enough O2
available for oxidation and quantitative burning. If you want to further
increase the temperature inside the capsule, you can use V2O5 as an
additive in the sample or similar.This also applies to free excess
oxygen. However, it also consumes the copper reactor.

It is always important to complete the conversion to the sample gas.
This can be checked by weight and area and element content of the substance.
If it is less than 100%, one should check for by-products at the exit of
the oven.
Thus, organic and inorganic substances in the elementary analyzer should
be measurable on isotope ratios and are.

Best,
Matthias

Am 07.12.2018 um 15:05 schrieb Wolfram Meier-Augenstein (pals):

> Dear Heiko,
>
> An interesting observation and worth looking into further, especially
> since it suggests excess O2 to increase temperature in this instance
> outweighs fundamental principles of chemical reaction equilibrium.
>
> The conversion of carbonate to CO2 can be written as 2 CO3 à2 CO2 +
> O2.  Since O2 is a product of this conversion, increasing the amount
> of O2 present in the system and thus on the product side, would shift
> the equilibrium of the reaction to the side of the educt resulting in
> an incomplete conversion and thus isotopic fractionation.  This is
> exactly what one observes when converting nitrate into NOx in an EA in
> the presence of O2, which has been described by Gentile and Siegwolf.
>
> However, be that as it may, my main concern with using inorganic salts
> (minerals) in an EA-IRMS to scale anchor organic compounds is that it
> does not meet with the Identical Treatment principle.  (A) Obviously,
> inorganic compounds are not a match for organic compounds be it from a
> temperature stability or be it from an elemental composition (make-up)
> point of view. (B) Because of that, one way or another matrix effects
> may impact on results.
>
> There are plenty of organic reference materials (RMs) available that
> can be used to scale anchor d13C values of organics measured by EA-IRMS.
>
> It is my personal conviction, the use of inorganic RMs such as
> carbonates should be confined to scale anchor results of stable
> isotope analysis of carbonates by acid digest. Analysis of CO2
> released by acid digest of these materials is after all how the d13C
> (and d18O) values of these inorganic RMs were determined in the first
> place.   Speaking of acid digest, CO2 released from carbonate RMs can
> of course be used as reference gas when analysing off-line combusted
> organics in Dual-Inlet instruments. ;-)
>
> Best,
>
> Wolfram

Dr. Matthias Gehre

Head of the Laboratory for Stable Isotopes (LSI)
Department for Isotope Biogeochemistry
Helmholtz-Centre for Environmental Research - UFZ
Permoserstrasse 15
04318 Leipzig
Germany

Fon: ++49(0)341 235 1361
Fax: ++49(0)341 235 45 1361
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Registered Office: Leipzig
Registration Office: Amtsgericht Leipzig

Trade Register Nr. B 4703
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: MinDirig. Wilfried Kraus
Scientific Director: Prof. Dr. Georg Teutsch
Administrative Director: Prof. Dr. Heike Graßmann (interim)