Dear Marilyn,

When running marine samples for external clients (which prompted the development of the Inconel insert) using the insert to protect the quartz glass reactor from weakening and developping pin holes or cracks, we used a traditional EA-IRMS set-up with separate combustion and reduction reactors.

Therefore, any HCl formed would have been mopped up by the copper in the reduction reactor.

In all our mass range magnet scans we never saw any peaks at masses where there shouldn't be any signal such as 36 and 38.

Best,

Wolfram

Prof. Dr W Meier-Augenstein, CChem, FRSC
Stable Isotope Forensics & Analytical Sciences

Robert Gordon University
School of Pharmacy and Life Sciences
The Ian Wood Building
Garthdee Road